3 Ways to Preserve Foods Without Canning or Freezing
Preserving food has been around for many centuries. While, of course, there are the methods of canning and freezing, other lesser known methods are just as effective.
Preserving food for future use can be a safe, healthy, and money-saving endeavor.
Here are three ways to preserve foods without canning or freezing:Sun-drying or Dehydrating
Sun drying foods such as tomatoes, apricots, figs, or prunes can be healthy and effective ways of preserving food.
Growing your own tomatoes or figs is a healthy way to start.
Once your garden or fig tree has produced enough fruit, the following methods can be used to sun dry them.
* Begin by selecting your desired fruit, remove seeds and stems and any undesirable pieces.
* Create a patio block with either bricks or stones to create a base platform for your methods to sun dry the fruit.
* Home and garden stores sell screening made especially for the purpose of sun drying food.
Purchase one for the top of your block platform, place your chosen fruit on top, and then place the other on top creating a safety screen from insects and other animals.
* Bring the fruit inside the screen indoors every day so that moisture from night air cannot wilt the process.
* If you leave your fruit out in the sun to dry for several days, this should be sufficient to dry it properly.Smoking Meats
Smoking meats is an age-old method of preserving meats and in a tasty fashion as well.
Smoked meats can be a tasty change from traditional barbeque foods.
Before beginning the endeavor of smoking meats, it is important to follow a few tips and tricks for the best outcome.
* Before beginning, make a trip to your local home and garden store or to your local hardware store.
You can purchase a very
nice smoker at a reasonable price and you will find that they have ease of use as well.
* Next, choose what type of meat you would like to smoke.
Typically, the leaner the meat, the better the results.
* Wash, dry, and slice the meat according to your tastes and place it in your smoker. Anywhere from 12 to 24 hours in a smoker will yield tasty results.
* You can choose to use a hot smoking or cold smoking method depending on your tastes.Salt curing
Salt curing is another way of preserving foods. Salt curing simply means to create a mixture of salt and water known as brine. You can cure several foods with salt.
* Vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, and eggplant can all be salt cured by slicing and dicing them and placing them in the salt-water combination.
Leaving the vegetables for approximately two weeks will create a salt-cured result.
Other methods of preserving vegetables utilize vinegar in either red or white. This is otherwise known as pickling.
* Meats can also be cured by rubbing salt all over it, leaving it to cure for several weeks.
As you can see, there are several creative ways to preserve food without canning or freezing.
Every year, a lot of people can and freeze foods to ensure they have the foods they love on hand when winter rolls around and they are out of season.
To learn more about how you can start preserving foods visit the section here about how to preserve foods by canning and freezing
them.Did you like this guide for preserving foods?
Well first, share it so someone else can get some good advice.
Then if you have some recipes or tips that you would like to share you can do so by clicking the COMMENTS link below - thanks!
I really want to know what you think of this site, this page, and to hear your tips or suggestions about it.
So please share your story or simply add a Comment in the comment box.
If you feel that the information on this page has been useful to you please give it a Like or share it with your friends - thanks!!
"You are a life Saver!!
I recently discovered this site and I can tell you that my life
has not been the same. I now come here EVERYDAY and spend at least 1
I used to spend that time browsing online fashion and beauty
magazine which just means that I spend more. Now I have replaced that
habit with coming here.
In future I will think about contributing articles as well. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! and God bless"