How Can Daily Exercise Affect Your Longevity?
Is exercise overrated? Do you really need to be active to live longer? You probably know someone who lived until their 80's or 90's in relatively good health that never exercised, and ate improperly their whole life.
But that does not mean that is the secret recipe for longevity! They are simply the exception to the rule.
In what ways can daily exercise impact how long you live? Let's turn to the experts for answers.
• The American Heart Association says that, "Regular physical activity improves quality of life." That respected health organization also found that regular physical activity "boosts mental wellness" as well as physical fitness levels.
• The National Institutes of Health in the United States examined information from more than 650,000 adults. Their findings? You can extend your lifespan by as much as 4.5 years when you experience regular physical activity.
• The National Cancer Institute has published research which shows physical activity, as opposed to a sedentary lifestyle, drastically reduces your risk of developing uterine, lung, and prostate cancers.
• An important Australian study which was published in PLOS One magazine took information from 8,600 Aussie women and men over a period of 15 years. What was uncovered? Regular "brisk walking" cut 10 year heart disease risk by 50%. Those first participants in the study that walked or worked out daily were 600% less likely to develop any type of heart disease.
• In the November 14, 2013 issue of Stroke magazine, the results of a study 3,500 men between the ages of 60 and 80 were released. Daily walking, at any pace, for just one or 2 hours a day cut stroke risk by as much as 33%.
Looking At the Other Side Of the Coin
Okay, so regular activity can help you live longer, and daily physical fitness efforts increase your longevity even further.
But does inactivity will really harm you to any significant degree? Again, let's check in with the experts.
• Heart.org is a US-based website dedicated to building healthier lives that are free of stroke and cardiovascular diseases. Their research shows that obese and inactive people die approximately 7 years sooner than their counterparts who are physically active.
• They also find that sedentary individuals that sit for 4 hours per day elevate their risk of dying from a cardiovascular disease by an incredible 80%.
• The March 2012 issue of The Archives of Internal Medicine published similarly startling information. If you sit 11 hours a day you are immediately 40% more likely to die from any cause than someone who sits less.
• A HealthPop study revealed that too much sitting, in addition to an overall sedentary lifestyle, contributed to at least 93,000 cases of colon and breast cancer.
Stand up and get moving. Doctors, fitness experts and health professionals agree that any form of daily exercise can help you live longer.
Spread just 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of exercise throughout your weekly routine.
This can be any type of moderate to intense aerobic, cardiovascular or strength training activities.
Walking, bike riding, swimming, hiking and gardening qualify – you don't have to hit the gym.
Bonus Tip! Try not to exceed 5 hours of intense exercise per week, because some research shows that this is the point at which your health benefits level off and begin to decline.
You can check out here more health tips and online guide about exercise for sedentary people.
How did you like this post? If you found this article helpful to you, you may want to share it with others by clicking the social networking buttons on the left side of this page – Thank You!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Sports & Fitness.
"Power Tips" magazine is back!
You Get A Free Complete Self Help Report delivered to your email box every edition, plus you get a free PLR article and other great gifts!
SUBSCRIBE BELOW ... I promise you will want to USE what you learn!
I really want to know what you think of this site, this page, and to hear your tips or suggestions about it.
So please share your story or simply add a Comment in the comment box.
If you feel that the information on this page has been useful to you please give it a Like or share it with your friends - thanks!!
"You are a life Saver!!
I recently discovered this site and I can tell you that my life
has not been the same. I now come here EVERYDAY and spend at least 1
I used to spend that time browsing online fashion and beauty
magazine which just means that I spend more. Now I have replaced that
habit with coming here.
In future I will think about contributing articles as well. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! and God bless"
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time
indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability
information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the
time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.