What Does Proper Nutrition Really Mean?
Nutrition is defined as nourishment or energy that is obtained from consuming food or the process of consuming nourishment and energy in the proper amounts.
Unfortunately, for many of us, proper nutrition is far from what we get from our daily diet. We are obsessed with junk food, processed food that comes from a box and many of us eat little or worse yet no whole real food that provides the body with the proper nutrition that it needs.
The term “proper nutrition” is often misinterpreted by people and most people don’t fully understand how to implement into their daily lives. This article is going to break down exactly what proper nutrition means.
The World Health Organization defines proper nutrition as an adequate, well-balanced diet combined with regular physical activity.
According to the World Health Organization, there are five key points to defining a proper, well-balanced diet for an adult.
1. The main part of a healthy diet is the presence of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and whole grains. It is important to get 5 portions or 400g of fruits and vegetables a day.
- It is essential to get a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet, get as many different colors as possible.
- Some examples of legumes are lentils and beans.
- Whole grains include whole wheat, steel cut oats, millet, oats and brown rice.
2. Potatoes and starchy roots are not classified as fruits or vegetables, they are in fact starches, like grains and should be limited.
3. Less than 10% of your total daily calories from simple sugars, ideally this amount should be less than 5%.
This is equivalent to about 12 level teaspoons for a 2000 calorie a day diet. Simple sugars, include table sugar, sugar found in fruit, added to processed foods and found in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
4. Less than 30% of total calorie intake should be from fats.
• Most of your fats should be unsaturated fats, such as those found in fish, avocado, nuts, sunflower, olive and canola oils, which are preferable over saturated fats, such as those found in fatty meat, butter, cream, ghee, lard, cheese, and palm and coconut oil.
• The American Heart Association advises 7% or less of total daily calories come from saturated fats, which are found in meat, chicken, butter and tropical oils.
• Trans fats found in processed foods, fried foods, snack foods, fast foods, frozen pizza, pies, cookies, margarine, and spreads are not part of a healthy diet and should be limited to 1% or less of daily caloric intake.
5. You should be consuming less than 1 teaspoon, or 5g, of salt per day.
- Iodized salt is the healthier option.
In order to maintain proper nutrition, there are some principles that you need to apply in addition to the ones above from the World Health Organization.
• Do not completely eliminate any type of food from your diet. Instead, incorporate all foods into your diet according to their ratio that is set by the food pyramid.
• Limit you saturated fats, starch, and sugars, but generously include lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, and good fats into your diet.
• Consume as much of your food as you can to their raw or original form
• Minimize your intake of processed foods and junk foods. These typically offer no nutritional value and are much higher in calories than the natural choices.
• Replace your juice with raw fruit and avoid sodas.
• Vitamins, enzymes, and fiber are best consumed in the form of raw fruits and vegetables.
• Consume six smaller portioned meals in a day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, two daytime snacks, and one pre-bed snack will help you feel full and avoid binge eating.
• Drink lots of water every day, the general recommendation is to consume at least eight to ten glasses a day.
It is really simple to get proper nutrition, EAT A WIDE VARIETY OF REAL WHOLE FOOD. Fresh meats, vegetables, fruits and low fat dairy will allow you to get all the various nutrients these foods provide.
So, toss the boxes, and fill your plate with nature’s goodness and you will see and feel a marked difference in your energy levels, health and weight.
You should now have a good grasp on what proper nutrition is and how to best incorporate it into your life.
By following the tips above, your body will be healthier which will lead to you having more energy. Ensuring your body is receiving the nutrition it needs takes a little bit of work, but it is definitely worth it.
You can learn more in my online guide here about how to learn healthy cooking for yourself and your family
It only takes a little know how about ingredients and substitutions.
And, creating your meals at home is a good way to cut out a lot of the fat and calories that you would encounter in the same meal at a restaurant or prepackaged in the grocery store.
Here I'll feature helpful resources to show you more ways for how to learn healthy cooking as I come across them. Did you like this blog post?
Well first, share it so someone else can get some good advice.
Then, subscribe to my RSS feed at the bottom of this page so you don’t miss more
I really want to know what you think of this site, this page, and to hear your tips or suggestions about it.
So please share your story or simply add a Comment in the comment box.
If you feel that the information on this page has been useful to you please give it a Like or share it with your friends - thanks!!
"You are a life Saver!!
I recently discovered this site and I can tell you that my life
has not been the same. I now come here EVERYDAY and spend at least 1
I used to spend that time browsing online fashion and beauty
magazine which just means that I spend more. Now I have replaced that
habit with coming here.
In future I will think about contributing articles as well. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! and God bless"
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time
indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability
information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the
time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.